Saturday, June 5, 2010

From the fiery depths of the sewing workrooms,

comes this quote:

"We're wogs. If there isn't taffetta and sequins, there isn't a wedding."

It's funny that she said this just as we were really knuckling down and finalising (or trying to finalise) our fabrics for our collection. It has really been drummed into us to find appropriate fabrics, but sometimes this seems an impossible task.

The Australian winter really just isn't cold enough to necessitate the weight of fabrics used in winter garments overseas: so when creating a winter range that post graduation, would ideally be saleable internationally, the lack of variety of quality winter fabrics (at affordable prices) really starts to become an issue. Just sourcing a quality wool jersey that is warm enough, yet will not be used by every other student doing womenswear has been difficult. I guess that's why when I found a 100% merino wool ponte that I love, is of a great quality, and was available for 30% off because I'm a final year student, I bought 12 metres of it. I think that some other students will also be using it, but I'm planning to put my textiles expertise into play here: to dye it to match my colour palette; to print it with my own prints; and to design other textile applications such as quilting designs, to make this fabric really mine.

Still, 12 metres seems like a lot right now. Hopefully I will use it all: even more hopefully, I hope that I'll have enough. And no matter how far my collection changes from it's current state, this fabric WILL remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment