Friday, June 4, 2010

Some colourful language ahead!

Argh. Colour palettes will be the death of me.

Whoever decided that bright colours are summer, and that dark colours are winter should be shot. I don't believe that colours should be restricted to season; heaven knows that in winter when everything is so drab, some bright colours would certainly (literally) brighten up the day. Even Li Edelkoort agrees: recently, we were treated to a lecture by her assistant and right hand man Phillip, and he showed us the latest Trend Union colour stories book. Admittedly most of the colour stories for winter were darker in tone, but they were all so rich, and most importantly, black was a minority colour! One of my favourite colour stories was based around a photo of a punk mohawk, which had been dyed green and pink.

So, with the idea of bright colours in mind, these were the colour palettes I developed for my final range (each row is a new colour story):


Didn't work. Too summery, spring, or transseasonal. I needed something to pull it back down and give it a more varied and balanced range. After a bit of tweaking and only a little bit of frustration, I've finally come up with:


Hooray, they were approved! I still get my bright colours, but I also have a stronger winter influence. It's hard to admit that the criticism was actually good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment