Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I love packages in the mail

The books just keep coming and coming! I'm getting so excited every morning to go check to see whether another package is waiting patiently for me on my front step; it's like I'm a little girl again, waiting for Santa!

The next book that delivered itself into my waiting hands and eager eyes was Juxtapoz Dark Arts, which is another illustrator collection in the Juxtapoz book series. It has a decidedly darker feel (obvious from the title, yes?) to Juxtapoz Illustration, with many of the artists choosing to deal with deeper or more serious topics such as death, prejudice and persecution, and overconsumption (in a consumerist world). The artworks range from bright and bold:

to soft and melancholy (or, as with some of the other artists, almost ethereal):

and all sorts of in between; soft but bright, dark but ethereal...

The editors of this collection have presented a really exciting mix of artwork, with some artists creating work that is so dark and macabre that it can make the viewer uncomfortable or even a bit sick if it is stared at and studied for too long; whilst the work of other illustrators can conjure up so much emotion that the viewer feels as if the artist has seen into their soul and painted their personal sadness, melancholy, despair and loneliness.

I guess I have painted a fairly grim picture of what this book is about, but I promise that it isn't as bad as it sounds. Yes the imagery and subject content can be a bit depressing, but it is still an amazing book with a great wealth of interesting illustrations, so if you ever manage to prise it from my hands you should definitely check it out!

Oh, but before I forget: Juxtapoz Dark Arts was edited by M. Revelli (Project Manager Saelee Oh and Writer Evan Pricco), and was published by Gingko Press in the USA in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment