Thursday, April 8, 2010

Inspiration can strike in the strangest of places

(Photo by moi)


Waiting for the train the other day, I happened to notice these crazy giant wild grasses growing outside the parking lot. Now, it has to be said that on occasion, the craziest whims will come into my head for what I can transform into a print.

Looking at these grasses, I was struck by the idea of using them as a giant paint brush. How much fun would it be to have a giant canvas of watercolour paper, dip the grass head into a bucket of polysol dye, and just go nuts? I could use it to splash the dye; sweep the dye across the paper or even just press it gently to get the rough natural organic shape of the grass head; creating all sorts of crazy patterns and textures.

Then I’d just have to wait for the dye to dry before I can heat press it onto some (shudder- I am a bit biased against synthetics, I must admit) polyester fabric and voila! A one off metreage of fabric, hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment