Friday, April 23, 2010

She really can be anything...

In the last few days, the remainder of my illustration books have arrived from The Book Depository (hooray!). Since my taste in illustration/art leans towards the lowbrow/neo-pop/graffiti street-styles, it isn't surprising that some of this art can be quite macabre and a bit creepy: I did just share with you Juxtapoz Dark Arts!

All this journey into the illustration fantasy land reminded me of Margaux Lange, an artist/jewellery designer I came across a few years ago. Her work aims at transforming a mass produced product into unique handmade jewellery, using...

Barbie! Her Artist Statement explains more clearly and succintly than I could hope to, why she is so fascinated and inspired by Barbie, and what she aims for in the creation of her wearable art.

For me, her jewellery brings up a whole host of emotions and feelings: nostalgia for my childhood- I had at least 20 Barbies/friends/younger sister Kellys; amusement at the statement Margaux is making, and the way that she has very carefully chosen which body parts to use in which piece of jewellery- when you look at all her pieces, many of them are quite ironic, like these earrings made of ears:

and desire for her jewellery- it's just so bold and out there, definitely my style! Some of it is a little bit creepy:

(who doesn't want a whole army of...arms...around their neck?), but some is actually quite sweet:

but most of it is just kitsch and fun:

Who knew that Barbie would still be so fun and desirable when we're adults?

All these lovely photos were taken from Margaux's Portfolio pages on her personal site. I definitely recommend that you check out all her other work- particularly the one off pieces, as they're all very unique. I love them all, and you can buy some of her jewellery on her site... just saying!

1 comment:

  1. haha, it brings another level of meaning to that well worn phrase "keep your eyes off my chest" (s)..
    Reminds me of the .. was it alpha60 china doll necklaces (which were slightly creepier)
    I like it.

    ReplyDelete