Thursday, April 29, 2010

Stay fit while you sit!

Coming from a university background, one of the most important things we are taught to consider as designers is smart yet practical design. After all, what is the use of creating something that is aesthetically beautiful when it is completely impractical to use?

Whilst it is probably a more common problem for industrial designers, I must admit that I have had issues in the past where garments I've designed haven't been the most practical (I will never forget my tutor blushing madly whilst telling us to leave the fly on men's pants where it is, rather than being 'designerly' and moving it to the side of even to the back, purely for the practicality of going to the bathroom): so now I always think of how easy it would be to get the garment on and off- gorgeous necklines that don't allow for the head to pass through just don't cut it!

One of the things I came across on Oddee (a blog about weird things) today is the Hawaii Chair. How the designers ever thought it could be a worldwide sensation (hey, if Snuggies and Shamwows can break the infomercial barrier to success...) is beyond me. I think I'll let this hilarious video of Ellen DeGeneres trying to use it on her show speak for itself:

No comments:

Post a Comment