Thursday, May 20, 2010

The accessories make the man

Or the woman! In thinking about my collection, my mind has been all over the place: I've been trying to hone and refine and pin down my 12 looks, whilst simultaneously thinking about textile prints, worrying about my colour palette, and trying to envision the garments with accessories since my models apparently can't go down the catwalk barefoot.

But why stop at thinking about shoes and jewellery? Current street trends, especially going into winter when it can all get a bit drab, include patterned and textured and brightly coloured stockings, and the headband revival is still going strong....yet as a designer, it's my job to want more.


Socks are always so neglected, but they needn't be! They are like the ugly sister to stockings, often seen as functional and utilitarian, but can't they be fun too? Granted this isn't the best example of 'designed' socks, but the idea is there waiting to be expanded.

And this headband- it's just screaming at me to start thinking about whether headwear can be translated into streetwear; toeing the line of avant garde, without veering into the kitsch...maybe a vintage referenced style would help?

Hmm. Thoughts are brewing, much like the coffee that's keeping me alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment