Thursday, May 6, 2010

Finding my style

So remember the books that I'd ordered online, and then received and was gleefully poring over? Well now they are really coming in handy: we have officially finished dissertation and are diving head first into the collection...eek!

My head has been all wrapped up with all the preliminary research into silhouettes, fabrication, etc, that I haven't really had time to think about what style and aesthetic I want my textile prints to be...at least I've decided on my colours right? Anyway, this is where Art by Tattooists: Beyond Flash comes in!

It's an awesome book by Jo Waterhouse, that is similar to the Juxtapoz books in that each tattooist/artist has a short profile and then a small selection of their work. It's been really interesting for me to see tattooists work in different media and how some traditional tattoo styles translate, and it will definitely help me figure out my own style.

These are some of the tattooists that stood out to me:


The textures and incredible life-like volume in Pink Skull (oil on canvas) by Matt Hunt are just amazing; it looks so 3D, like it's about to jump off the page and land in your lap!


I absolutely adore the aesthetic of these girls by Lina Stigsson: they have very Spanish, romantic, and conventionally pretty faces, but are covered with tattoos- although the tattoos are very delicate and beautifully detailed. These are oil on canvas.


I'm not sure anything I say about Rocketqueen (watercolour on paper) will do Cody Meyer justice. Just, wow. The emotion, the passion, and the amazing likeness to a photograph. Wow.

And finally these ink and watercolour roosters (on watercolour paper) by Erik Von Bartholomaus. I think my favourite thing about these is the way the colours are so bold and strong yet blend smoothly so that it isn't just big chunks of colour in clearly defined panels.

Sigh. I have a lot of work to do.

The formal stuff: Art by Tattooists: Beyond Flash was published by Laurence King Publishing in London in 2009. (hooray for getting my hands on recent books!)

No comments:

Post a Comment