Thursday, May 27, 2010

More Tattoos

My friend finally got married! We did the dance and got rave reviews, and got henna done! Officially it's called mehendi, and boy did we get into it.

This is the bridal mehendi, which is just amazingly detailed and intricate. Can you believe it's all freehand?!?

Photos courtesy of my friend Lingsi Lu.

Just a little pic to show the application of the henna. The ladies paint so fast!

My hand, photo from my friend Caren Zhang

This is the final colour, 2 days after application and after a couple of showers (so the dried henna paste has been washed off).

My friend's hands (Helena and Pam, from top) and my hand, my photo

So, um, what's the point you ask? This form of temporary tattoo was just so beautiful that it got me thinking about ways to incorporate it, or adapt it to my own collection in a textile print, or maybe even embroidery. I'd mentioned to my textiles tutor that it was a shame that I couldn't use the henna paste directly on the fabric because it only comes in one colour, so she suggested that I create the artwork, and then scan it in and manipulate the colours on Photoshop. M also then suggested that I create a print in the mehendi style, incorporating images/motifs that are suitable to my range and aesthetic.

The *semi-rusty* cogs in my head are turning. Stay tuned for sample results!

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    Thought you might enjoy this.

    http://martinejohanna.com/view.php?s=illustration&i=0018a.jpg

    ReplyDelete