Saturday, May 15, 2010

Warehouse Sales

To some, and probably a previous incarnation of myself: great bargains for the discerning shopper; one who is willing to spend the hours needed to trawl through the racks, and has the energy to try on armfuls of clothing and fight with other women over the last remaining garment of a certain style.

Now, 'warehouse sale' means: What. A. Waste.


It hurts to think that potentially, all the hours and hard work put into creating a range comes down to this. What of the clothing that doesn't get sold? Look at the styles in which the unsold volume numbers in double digits. The incredible fabric wastage alone is mind-boggling, let alone the wasted time and money.

Fast fashion. I don't think I want to be there. I hope that I can position myself in a sector that is modern/contemporary yet classic, with my garments being innovative yet with a hint of timelessness- that they are so unique that they can survive the ritual wardrobe clean-out most women have each season/year.


I do NOT want to be so easily disposable, or to have my garments/accessories treated so callously.

No comments:

Post a Comment